Monday, October 22, 2012

At Sea in the Seychelles

This morning is designated for sailing, something I’m eager to do. The wind is light, but there is enough to move us along. I love it when the motor goes quiet.
I am looking forward to a morning spent gliding among these beautiful islands, admiring their rocky coastlines and pristine beaches from the water.

But our captains want more wind. . .and they want to test the boat a bit. . .and they want to take the course that requires the least amount of tacking – so they head far out into open water while the other boats play among the islands. 

I want to sail, but I want to sight-see too.  So I sit glumly, watching the rocky shore retreat into the distance, the other boats skimming along the shoreline of the islands. Occasionally I send a catty remark up to the captain’s bench to express my displeasure, but mostly I just watch as the islands move farther into the distance.
Of course, our captains aren’t really getting what they want either, as the wind turns out to not be very good out here either. We end up doing a lot of motoring.

Eventually we do turn in toward the islands and I get to see some of the wonderful shoreline and rocky islets as we join the other boats at a gorgeous anchorage off Felicité Island.  

Next post: We Almost Get to Cocos Island
Previous post:  Sunset from Government Beach

More Seychelles posts

No comments:

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you!

All comments are moderated, so it may take a bit before your comments are posted, but I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Please come back and visit www.thetravelgal.blogspot.com again.