Thursday, June 21, 2012 Home

Photo Thursday: The Singer Takes a Break (Denver, Colorado)

Denver, Colorado, is participating in what has become a bit of an international urban craze over the past few years – placing artist-decorated pianos in public places for use by anyone who happens to wander by.

This shot was taken last week along the 16th Street Mall in Denver where pianos are available for use by anyone who happens to walk by. Often this leads to dissonant banging, but sometimes a true artist appears on the scene.

She was taking a break when we first reached this spot, but soon began softly singing to the piano’s accompaniment. Her voice was precise and lovely, barely drifting above the gentle notes of the piano.
It was a delightful mini-concert. Perfect for a hot summer night.

For great "Photo Thursday" images from around the world, visit Nancie's Budget Travelers Sandbox and join in on the fun!

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At June 21, 2012 10:53 AM, Anonymous jade said...

Fun! I love live music and especially when you just happen upon it! great find!

 
At June 21, 2012 1:40 PM, Anonymous Debbie Beardsley @ European Travelista said...

Interesting! I have never seen this before but I think I'd like to run into a wonderful singer pounding away in the middle of a sidewalk.

 
At June 21, 2012 2:22 PM, Anonymous walkingon travels said...

I'm so sad I missed this when I was swooping through Denver on my way to Keystone. It would have been really cool to see, and even try my hand at the keys. It's been a LONG time since I got to play my limited notes on the ivories.

 
At June 21, 2012 3:30 PM, Anonymous Leigh said...

What an interesting idea to make a city more user friendly and fun. Would love to come across a pianist with talent.

 
At June 21, 2012 4:22 PM, Anonymous Lisa Goodmurphy said...

I've never seen a piano set out in a public space like that - what a cool thing to happen upon - particularly with a talented performer stopping to entertain passersby.

 
At June 21, 2012 4:52 PM, Blogger Travel Gal said...

I first saw these in London. There was one near our hotel and every time we came by there seemed to be someone different playing (or attempting to play). It was really great.

 

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you!

All comments are moderated, so it may take a bit before your comments are posted, but I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Please come back and visit www.thetravelgal.blogspot.com again.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home