For our fall trip to the Seychelles - an even farther away place - I decided to try again.
We have two round trip first/business class tickets to the Seychelles (with a couple days in Paris on the return) and they cost us 240,000 miles and a bit less than $2,000 (mostly for taxes and airport fees). Total. For both of us.
I feel like I won the lottery.
To what, you ask, do I owe this sudden, magnificent change in fortune?
I hired an expert.
I'd always heard that Gary at BookYourAward.com could work miracles, so I headed over to his website and gave it a thorough read through. Then I sent a very long email describing what I was hoping for and how many miles I could scrounge up.
Gary forwarded me to his colleague, Steve Belkin. It was Steve who pulled off this miracle and who did it in the midst of a downed computer system at Delta. I can't say enough good things about the service I got - it's worth far more than they charge. I'll never book my own award seats again.
I HIGHLY recommend using BookYourAward.com, but encourage you to keep a few things in mind:
- Be flexible - the more flexible you are, the more likely it is that they will be able to find a good deal for you (we are not traveling on the exact dates we had planned or at a peak period)
- Be patient - sometimes things take longer than you expect (computer issues at Delta had us on hold for almost a week)
- Be reasonable - luck and timing both factor into this and what's available will vary at any given time, they'll do the best they can. . . and remember that award miles still will require cash for taxes and fees
- Be honest - lay out what is acceptable and what isn't right at the beginning to ensure you aren't wasting your time or theirs
- Be fair - the cost for this service is really a bargain, so don't expect a miracle and don't be a jerk!