Saturday, September 24, 2011

Penguins!

One of things on my “must-see” list is the penguins at Boulders Beach. I’ve not seen penguins outside a zoo (we didn’t get a good look at any in the Galapagos) and I’ve seen all these amazing pictures of Boulders Beach where you can swim with the penguins.

I’m so excited I practically run down the (crowded) boardwalk to the beach.

So far, so good!

I follow the walkway around the bend, imagining scenes like these (with hotter guys):



Instead, I find this:

Still, the walkway provides good views of the penguins.

(Penguins molt. That’s the reason some of these guys look pretty mangy; in a few months they will all be sleek and fully waterproof once again.)

I definitely can now claim to have seen penguins!

Of course, penguins aren’t the only wildlife here. Among other birds, huge flocks of comorants swirl above - and land on - the boulders.

They are mesmerizing.

Further out, sailboats glide just this side of the horizon.

This would be a good place to spend the day.

Maybe I'd even find spots where I could actually commune with the penguins.

Next post: Sharks and Whales

1 comment:

  1. You were fortunate to spend a day and see the birds. What a spectacular display!
    We were told there were whales way out -- I only saw a fin but it was pretty cool.
    Love your photo mosaic.
    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete

It is good to hear from you!

All comments are moderated, so it may take a bit before your comments are posted, but I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Please come back and visit www.thetravelgal.blogspot.com again.