Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Cleaning Day in a Magical, Mysterious Place

Previous post: Searching for a Location

We gather to start on our assignments in the plaza outside the church I’d been eying earlier in the day. (Or at least, what I think is a church - it doesn’t really look like a church, but I think that’s what it is.) Something about this rather plain building intrigues me, but whenever I have walked by here it has been closed. . . except today. There are workers of some sort moving in and out as Chris explains the morning’s assignment.

I’m going to see if I can get inside as soon as the others move on. Today’s assignment (finding a scene that serves as a frame and capturing the scene with people moving through it) can wait.

Of course, until he mentions it, I don’t remember that Rick is going to shoot with me this morning. . . so much for sneaking away to check out that church. (It doesn’t seem a likely spot to photograph scenes that include people). Sigh.

Except, Rick says he has a feeling about the same church and suggests going in there. . .

(How lucky can one get?!)

As we approach the (open!) doorway, Rick notes that it looks as if it hasn’t been used in a very long time and, indeed, the threshold has a thick coating of pigeon droppings.

Inside we find a simple chapel.

It is like a stage set awaiting the performers - neat and orderly, but lifeless. I’m perplexed by how quiet it is; I know I saw people come in here – where have they gone? For that matter, where did Rick go?

It takes a moment or two for me to notice the open door near the alter.

On the other side is a mysterious ancient space. Inside, a small cleaning crew moves among an odd assortment of art and artifacts. It is a place lost in time, but undergoing a very modern cleaning.

Rick is already shooting.

We shoot for a half-hour or so, at times following the cleaning crew as they work, but sometimes just sitting still, trying to absorb all the disparate components that make up this place.

Who would have guessed this was even here?

(I’m pretty sure this is the Church of Saint Angelo and that these ancient rooms are only used once a year during the feast of Saint Lucia, but I haven’t been able to verify that. Despite my photos, in my mind it remains a magical, mysterious place that maybe doesn't really exist.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you!

All comments are moderated, so it may take a bit before your comments are posted, but I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Please come back and visit www.thetravelgal.blogspot.com again.