Sunday, March 15, 2009

Those Late Winter Blues

I am growing a (dwarf) papyrus plant in my kitchen.

For me papyrus conjures up the slow, warm rivers of Africa – be it the Nile or the Okavango. This lush green plant is a link between my world that that of Africa, both the Africa of today and that of the ancient past. One glimpse and a part of my mind is off on a journey to an exotic place to which I’ve barely gotten an introduction.

However, the papyrus in my kitchen is struggling – the cold dark days have taken a toll. New shoots start out the rich green of spring grass, but quickly begin to brown. It needs the warmth and sun of Africa.

I’m feeling a bit like that myself.

As you may have noticed, I didn’t get my winter vacation this year and I’m feeling it.

Early spring (late winter?) in Minnesota is an ugly time – the snow melts under the dirt that has accumulated on its surface and soon the whole world is a large grubby puddle.

Yes, amid this there are a few signs of beauty to come, but they seem so fragile and the promise they bear so far in the future. Even the fact that my cymbidium is blooming (a major miracle, as far as I’m concerned), isn’t enough to make feel the warmth of spring.

Meanwhile, the cheery yellow blossoms of my faithful little cactus seem to mock me, taunting: The desert is in bloom now. . . why are you here?

Good thing I’m just about ready to leave for Arizona!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you!

All comments are moderated, so it may take a bit before your comments are posted, but I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Please come back and visit www.thetravelgal.blogspot.com again.