Sunday, December 7, 2008

Waiting for the Metro

Previous Post: Have We Even Left Minnesota?

It’s never been lovely to look at, but I’ve always been fond of DC’s Metro because it makes it so easy to get around without a car. It’s never been pretty (if Neo-classical Brutalism is an architectural style, Metro’s stations within the District are first-class examples of it), but in the past there has always been a train coming that would get me close enough to where I needed to go so it didn't seem to matter how it looked. However, for a few years now I’ve been aware that the system is drowning under the combined impact of increasing ridership and lack of funding – Metro has quite literally been coming apart without much hope of a fix in sight.

Apparently that might be changing, as Congress is (finally) stepping in to try to fix some of the mess. Thus I’m hoping that the delays I am encountering are evidence of the system's revitalization and not simply the system’s final collapse. Either way, for the first time we, as casual tourists, are acutely aware of Metro’s problems.

I feel sorry for the people who have to rely on it to get around every day.

What does it say about our country, that we have allowed the transit system in our nation’s capitol city to reach this state?

No comments:

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you!

All comments are moderated, so it may take a bit before your comments are posted, but I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Please come back and visit www.thetravelgal.blogspot.com again.