Monday, October 20, 2008

Evolution in Fargo

We (me, Tim, Lynne, Tom, and James) are in Fargo for a workshop on sustainable engineering. Assuming that the amount of time spent in meeting rooms, the cool damp weather, and the fact that I am here with a lot of other people would conspire to keep me inside, I did NOT bring my camera. (Dumb, dumb, dumb.) So the pictures I'm posting here were taken by Tom Faella. (Thank you, Tom.)

I end up in Fargo fairly regularly these days and I enjoy seeing how much downtown Fargo has come to life in the 20-some years since college. The dirty, run-down and nearly abandoned Broadway I remember is being revitalized, with a few new restaurants joining Old Broadway (although Fargo still isn't much of a food town) and a bunch of funky galleries and shops mixed in with the old bars and industrial buildings.


And there is more to come as housing options increase and the University of North Dakota expands its campus into downtown. There seem to be signs of change everywhere.

The city has put a lot of effort into revitalizing this area over the years and it seems to finally be paying off. Areas that I recall as dusty and empty (and kind of scary at night) are becoming an interesting mix of old and new.

It's sort of surreal walking through this odd mix. . . and that's before we reach the Hotel Donaldson, which is swathed in bras tonight.


(All photos by Tom Faella)

No comments:

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you!

All comments are moderated, so it may take a bit before your comments are posted, but I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Please come back and visit www.thetravelgal.blogspot.com again.