Sunday, August 31, 2008

A Very Long Way from Home

Previous post: Petroglyph Beach

I have made the mistake of checking some internet news sites from home.

Thus far I’ve ignored the headlines that pop up every time I pick up mail, but perhaps the talk on the boat this afternoon about politics and the conventions made me curious . . . or maybe seeing the headline “Police smash doors, search for bombs, cameras and urine” got my attention.

It seems weird, to be far away while things seem to be going nuts at home, the police acting like goons breaking down doors at private homes in order to round up people they think might be planning protests. (Is that even legal?) Meanwhile, the convention itself seems to be half on hold while everyone tries to figure out the hurricane situation in the south and how to make themselves look best. It’s madness.

While I worry a little about my house, I think it is in good hands and that the police won’t come barging in to arrest our house-sitter. (Although, it may be a possibility.)

Mostly whatever is going on in St. Paul seems far away and unreal. It could be happening in another country where I don’t know anyone and don’t speak the language. . . a few incoherent tales from a faraway land.

It’s a weird disconnect, but I am happy to be here and not there.

Next post: Finally We are on the Ferry

No comments:

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you!

All comments are moderated, so it may take a bit before your comments are posted, but I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Please come back and visit www.thetravelgal.blogspot.com again.