Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Naniboujou

Previous Post: A Scenic Drive

We head up through Grand Marais and further north a bit because I want to have lunch at Naniboujou Lodge. I want to see this over-the-top classic for myself.

The drive is lovely.

And Naniboujou doesn't disappoint. It IS over-the-top - even the exterior hints at that.

Inside the dining room is every bit as wild as the pictures on the web page.

http://www.naniboujou.com
Crazy.

The lodge claims the designs are Cree. I am not an expert on northern woodland art, but these images are completely unlike anything I associate with the woodland tribes of this area. They do, however, remind me of the designs traditionally found in Central and Southern America. . . perhaps the French artist who painted them was thinking more of the Aztecs as he worked?

Next Post: Along the Brule

No comments:

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you!

All comments are moderated, so it may take a bit before your comments are posted, but I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Please come back and visit www.thetravelgal.blogspot.com again.